Moving? I don’t recommend it. Two weeks ago I moved from the third floor to the first floor in the same building. Sounds easy doesn’t it? The fact that there was no elevator mattered only to the moving men who arrived early and worked efficiently. I had lots of family and friend help wrapping and packing and then unpacking  And, yes, carful packing required as the movers bumped down the 32 stairs with boxes on a dolly. I moved into the same amount of space albeit the floor plan reversed, so placement  no problem.

Years ago I had moved 725 miles with a not-yet-2.5-year old and a five-week old into a house I had never seen. Not even three years later I had moved 884 miles with kids 1, 3, and 5, the truck lost in a snowstorm, forcing the family to stay with virtual strangers for five days. . Later there were other local moves within a few miles of one another. None of them threw me into a tizzy like this one did.

So what was the problem?  ELECTRONICS! Caution: major whining ahead!

Despite planning ahead  it took two days to get the phone connected, and this involved several calls on, thank goodness, my cell phone. First the carrier had to verify that I had actually moved out of first apartment and that tenant had actually moved out of new apartment. They couldn’t reach the landlord, so, limbo.

TV: took 4 days to get a service person here to connect cable, something we had been unable to do.

Internet; should have been okay once phone line installed, but it took an additional 4 days (Total 6) involving daily calls, frequently on hold, often transferred. For one call I was one the phone over two hours.

WiFi: won the prize, taking 10 days and a $149 visit from the Geek Squad. The technician checked to make sure all okay with iPad and Firestick, said TiVo just loading in background and left. Later that day, I spent an hour and 17 minutes on phone with cable company: something about cable card  not being paired. When I reported this to the Geek guy, he claimed he had nothing to do with it and it wasn’t within his domain. Right!

Two services went without a hitch:  newspaper and, amazingly, the mail delivery.

FINALLY, all  electronics connected – at least for the moment. And I no longer have to climb to the third floor for which my knee is particularly grateful.

Dorothy C. Judd     © 2016

Next post: Monday, August 22nd


About twofelines

What to say? I love my family and friends. I also love kids, cats, and books. Oh, and potato chips and Cheez-its. I am a retired teacher who still loves to be in the classroom, so now I am a substitute teacher.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Moving

  1. Carol D'Agostino says:

    Yay! Glad this move is accomplished and you are on the first floor!

  2. efmcmahon says:

    Glad it finally all worked out! Electronic connections- don’t get me stated on TV remotes! are always the one of the more frustrating tasks in home organization. Must be great to be on the first floor with your knee, congrats and enjoy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s