Reasons I love subbing in the high school.
People look at me askance when I say I love subbing – especially because it is subbing in the high school. I finally put together a list of reasons, in no particular order, except for #’s 1 and 10.
- The students – Finding out what they are learning
Reading their papers
Eavesdropping on conversations and sometimes being included in them
Seeing what they wear
Watching their talent shows, Quidditch match, PowerPoint presentations
Keeping current – how else would I know about Gangnam Style?
Being tutored by them on newest electronic equipment
Reading books they’re assigned
- Passing in the halls – love crowds, a leftover from Boston days
Frequently greeted and often called by name- See post of Nov. 8
- Sometimes actually teaching and thus the need to get up to speed, quickly, on a Shakespearean play, requirements for American citizenship, Absolutism in Europe,
grammar and punctuation rules
4.Energy felt in the building the day before a vacation – walls vibrate
5. It feels like I still get vacations and snow days.
6. Faculty and Staff- adult conversations about curriculum, current events and, yes, gossip
7. Lunch – the café has great food and I get to eat with adults- see above
8. Incidentals – reading the Boston Globe in print , having to walk halls and stairs, perfect
excuse for not doing housework.
9. If I don’t have a class first period, I go in late. If I don’t have a class last period, I leave early.
10. Pay: this is actually the least of the reasons as it is embarrassingly little. However it goes directly into my travel account and thus eventually provides great pleasure.
© Dorothy C. Judd
Next Post: Monday, Dec. 10th